Is acupuncture during pregnancy safe?
YES! Acupuncture is completely safe during pregnancy and is proven to be very beneficial and effective. In the first trimester, it helps to maintain the pregnancy, nourish the body and it can even alleviate early symptoms such as nausea, heartburn and fatigue. During the later stages of pregnancy, the aches, pains and swelling that come along can all be greatly alleviated by acupuncture treatment as well. The third trimester is one of the most important times to have acupuncture done as it helps to prepare the body for labour.
What are the benefits?
• Alleviates pelvic and back pain
• Alleviates morning sickness, heartburn and fatigue
• Faster, easier birth (1.5 hours shorter on average)
• Reduced risk of medical intervention (C-section, epidural)
• Increased likelihood of “spontaneous labour” around due date, meaning reduced likelihood of induction
• Helps to build energy and calm the mind; bye-bye anxiety!
When should I start pre-birth acupuncture?
Pre-birth acupuncture can be started at 36 weeks and can continue weekly until your due date. If you’re overdue, additional acupuncture points can be added to gently promote cervical softening and dilation and strengthen contractions. These treatments can be done more frequently (every 2-3 days) until labour begins.
Does acupuncture help with turning breech babies?
Yes. Combined with moxibustion (herbs warmed over certain acupuncture points), it can
encourage babies to move into the proper position.
Does acupuncture hurt?
Generally no. Most people find acupuncture relaxing and often fall asleep during treatment. It is normal to feel some heaviness or warmth around the points, but usually acupuncture is painless!